Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Seeing an Application of a Worrisome Warning


What did Christ mean when He said what you did for the least of these brothers and sisters, you did for Me – and what you did not do for them, you did not do for Me? (Paraphrase of Matthew 25:40-46) A friend posted a photo album of what such doing looks like over three years, and I hope you will take the time and review it – it’s about 12 minutes of your time. (One child’s journey) In this album, this wee lad’s ebullience and the compassion of those who served him show a definition of serving the least of Christ’s brothers and sisters that is invaluable. 

On the calendar of all the kinds of people we honor, is there a day for those who help the young children with significant impairments gain their independence? Is there day when we say to the kids who work so hard to gain the skills they need to be a part of this wonderful world – WOW! Look what you did! Is there also a day set aside when we celebrate the moms and dads, siblings and grandparents of these special children who cheered their precious gifts on, exhorting and comforting them? 

Is there time in my day to pray, or time in schedule to serve?

This piece was written by a sister of a young man who is an overcomer.

Precious Gift

 by Cheryl Mullis

God has given me a brother who is very special.  His name is Matthew and he was born with Down's Syndrome.  Matthew is now thirty years old.  God has brought a richness and fullness to my life through those thirty years of living life alongside Matthew.  I hope to bring encouragement to those of you who may be living life alongside someone who may have special needs. Matthew has been a PRECIOUS GIFT to our family, sent directly to us by God.

 Precious Gift
           
 Positive Parents

            gaining daily strength from a visible, daily walk with the Lord


             believing that my sibling is a true blessing


            focusing on the positive/refusing to be trampled by the  insurmountable obstacles


            communicating love and acceptance to each child


            discussing openly the realities of living day to day life with a special child


            God is our refuge and strength, our ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear. (Psalm 46:1 )

Rejoicing


            in the unique family in which God has placed me


            in the differences my sibling has


            in the ways that God shows me how precious each one of us is to Him



            Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS and again I say REJOICE. (Philippians 4:4-7 )



            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Your works are wonderful, O Lord. (Psalm 139:4 )

Energy


            to face day to day living


            to keep up



             Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed. For his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness, O Lord. (Lamentations 3:22, 23)

Confusion


            why has God "blessed" our family in this way?


            will my sibling ever be able to . . .?


            will my friends understand?   will they accept me?


            why do my parents have to spend so much time with him?



            Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thatksgiving present your requests to God.  And the PEACE of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds In Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6,7) 


Insults


            hurtful


            cruel


            hard to talk about


             Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Proverbs 12:18)

Opportunities


            to meet others in similar places in life


            to serve in the church and community


            to become aware of the special qualities and gifts of others

Unaccepted


            name calling


            cruel looks


            people avoiding you

Surprises


            never know what to expect


            private family issues being made public


            life is not "controllable"


            people who God uses to encourage you


            God's grace IS sufficient



            My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.
            (2 Corinthians 12:9 )


Gift from God


            remembering that each life is a gift from God - even your sister or brother
             special
                         unique
                                     precious



            For you have created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13)

Intense



            intense times of frustration
            intense times of embarrassment
            intensely personal situation
            intense times of confusion
            intense times of JOY

Fun


            keep a sense of humor
            remember to laugh

Trust


            in God's plan -  unknown to us
            in God's strength to carry on day to day

Encouragement from Habakkuk to God's people  --
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vine, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, YET, I will REJOICE in the Lord.  I will be joyful in God my savior. The sovereign Lord is my strength, he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on to the heights. (Habakkuk 3:17-18)
Another great resource:

No comments: