Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Internet and Faith

Source: technologyreview.com
If the number crunchers are right, Americans are walking away from religion – we prefer being spiritual – without the ball and chain of the GOD of the Bible. What’s happening?   

Allen Downey, a computer scientist at the Olin College of Engineering in Massachusetts, . . .  says that the demise [of religion] is the result of several factors but the most controversial of these is the rise of the Internet. He concludes that the increase in Internet use in the last two decades has caused a significant drop in religious affiliation . . .

The drop in religious upbringing and the increase in Internet use seem to be causing people to lose their faith. But something else about modern life that is not captured in this data is having an even bigger impact. What can that be? . . . (How the Internet is Taking Away America's Religion)

An intriguing question –

We resisted getting on the Internet – mindful of its benefit, but fearing its power to distract our kids.  Well guess who got really distracted when we finally connected? (!)

Me!

Connecting in 1996, our business plans changed, as we evolved into marketing and selling our publications online, and I found the wonder of discussion boards. Logging into them, I found both comfort and conflict -- and I spent way too much time conversing with people in cyberspace, most often debating what I believed and why! These conversations became almost as important to me as everyday interactions! In time I laid aside debating – but communicating through my computer consumes a huge chunk of time – as I still hammer out what I think and why.

Wait . . . I hammer out what I think . . .

I . . . the first letter in idolatry, is it not? Could it be, that with as much evidence for debunking religion that the Internet provides, it is also a means and end for ignoring the simple requests God makes:

·      Look at the natural world and see His handiwork – (Psalm 19:1-5)

·      Look at His word – for in it I will find answers to heartache and pain. (Psalm 19:7-13)

·      Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and strength – love others as yourself.  Deuteronomy 6:5

Could it be that what man has created in the 20th century is just the latest, most powerful idol of our hearts, connecting us to all the little idols that have waylaid, confounded and confused in ages past?


 Let me post this to see what you think . . .

No comments: