Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Beware Using the F Words!


Kind words aren’t strangers when everything is going my way, like when when it’s a relatively quiet morning, and I can sip my coffee with no interruptions. It’s when I am crossed, that I default into sharp tones and cutting remarks. 

Three F’s have enabled me: fatigue, frustration and fear – they were a handy excuse to let ‘er rip.  God! I have said some bad things – and thought worse things. 

Reading an interview of a woman battling cancer triggered a flood of  memories of times I used F words to excuse my unkindness to my family or friends because I felt lousy.

The wonder is I can try again to speak with kindness. (Psalm 118:24) But with that wonder will also come an aggravation – the proportions of which I could use again as an excuse to use words as weapons.

Today, I read about a practical restraint.  Kara Tippetts*, facing the destruction cancer brings asked the elders in her church simply,  “. . . that I would not use illness as an excuse to be unkind to my family.” (Trusting God with Terminal Cancer)

·      When sleep eludes me, fatigue is not an excuse to be unkind to anyone, those closest to me.

·      When my body won’t cooperate, frustration is not an excuse to be unkind to anyone who is doing what I can’t.

·      When my mind wanders into too many what-if’s, fear is not an excuse to be unkind to anyone – especially because they, too, are walking through daunting or vexing times. 

In others’  words:

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach. ~Winston Churchill

Don't be yourself — be someone a little nicer. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not. ~Samuel Johnson
Life is mostly froth and bubble,
Two things stand like stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own
. ~Adam Lindsay Gordon



No comments: