Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Monday, May 19, 2014

A New Wrinkle

Wheels for the World

It’s been a pain, awkward and persistent – the problem with my hands. Not having the unlimited use of my hands is a constraint I never imagined. Mercifully, I am getting a taste, albeit on an infinitesimally small scale, of being disabled and dependent -- it’s been a prod to get me off the pity pot and take a good look at others, whose problems are more aggravating, discomforting and relentless.

Multiple Sclerosis is worse. So is Parkinson’s. And this problem isn’t cancer, a genetic birth defect, or degenerative spine disease.   It may look like leprosy; but, it isn’t leprosy, for Pete’s sake!

However, coming up with a remedy for a relatively benign problem has not been so simple. Three different doctors have told me three different things: It’s eczema; or, psoriasis or most recently, it may be contact dermatitis – similar and not similar. 

Since I am working on my medical degree through WebMD, I had questions. Twice I asked the dermatologists if there might be a connection with my skin issues and nickel levels in Apple computer – they began shortly after I became an Apple user.  (Nickel in Apple products)

They didn’t think so. 

So, again using a new mixture of their prescriptions and OTC products, I noticed my skin began to calm down. Then when Doug got me a protective covering for the computer’s keyboard and a case, the calming became marked!

Whether this has been an allergic reaction, or an immune deficiency, or just life, I can more deeply empathize with the one leper who came back to thank the Lord.  (Luke 17:11-19) Relief is sweet!

So, while trying to tame the flare-ups of dry, cracking skin these past two years, I’ve learned that many folks, even younger than I, struggle with skin issues.  When I have screwed up the courage to mention my problem, my friends have been happy to pray for healing – asking me to pray for them, too!  Moreover, everybody has a recommendation for a lotion, ointment, or tonic, including superglue – some work well, others -- not so much.

The persistent kindness of those who have prayed for me has been a balm of deep healing, reminding me to thank God, who stirred up and hears our prayers for each other, and who gives relief. Today, I pray for those whose pain and dependency remains deep and discouraging – specifically like Joni EarecksonTada, herself a quadriplegic, who urged:

I pray for mothers of spina bifida children in Mozambique. I pray for men who become paralyzed from falling out of palm trees in the jungles of the Philippines. I pray for mentally handicapped children in the closed areas of North Korea or western China.

And I pray for the people who care for the afflicted, injured and needy – please refine their skills, and meet their needs Lord.  And keep me from driving them nuts with my little problems. 

o      Gratitude is the least of the virtues, but ingratitude is the worst of vices. ~Thomas Fuller

o      The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem. ~ Theodore Rubin, an American psychiatrist and author

o      Sleep, riches, and health to be truly enjoyed must be interrupted. ~Johan Paul Richter, Flower, Fruit, and Thorn





Joni & Friends


No comments: