Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Holding My Breath

The sky is a pale shade of blue that looks almost white above the wordless evangelist  across the street as I look out in the shelter of air conditioning. The oak’s leaves are a lush green. 

Cloudy weather had shielded us from the some of the heat predicted for the rest of the week. But, at some point, “they” – the weather experts -- think we will hit 100 degrees several days in a row, with higher humidity. The morning sun soon burned off those friendly clouds.  

Yet, there is some good news. 
Thriving with Watering

There are fewer hours of daylight. The diminishing hours of daylight moderate slightly the build up of heat – we have an hour and a half less sun today than we did in July. The new flowers do seem drought tolerant, indeed, as long as I water daily.  And it’s so hot the squirrels are not foraging in my flowerpots. For all I know they went to Maine for a few weeks.

I wish the bad news from around the world would go somewhere – wars, and more rumors of tribulations war – pictures of overwhelming cruelty.  They bow my heart, reminding me what so many suffer because some have the wherewithal to inflict it. 

The more things change, the more they stay the same . . . 

·      In the last 3,421 years of recorded history only 268 have seen no war. ~Durant's Lesson's of History p 81

·      It is appallingly obvious our technology has exceeded our humanity. ~ Albert Einstein

·      The essence of war is fire, famine, and pestilence. They contribute to its outbreak; they are among its weapons; they become its consequences. ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

·      Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.~Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: