Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Springing Forward, Part II


Springing Forward 
I know. I know. I’ve reached the age and stage when giving over even one hour of [beauty] sleep is risky. But it is a refreshing reward to have an extra hour of sunlight so early in March. And a necessary push.

The soft green haze on the trees has yet to come; lawns are still brown . . . but hope is stirring in my heart – hope that skeptics might dismiss as antiquated, irrational. Yet on a late winter’s afternoon, the slant of the sun’s rays at twilight are comforting – reminding me of the good spring growing season ahead of me, making me forget the heat and dryness that is summer’s M.O. in Texas.

During the recent spate of chilly damp days, when the sun still seemed to set too early, I had a good excuse to forego a routine neighborhood hike, albeit on level sidewalks. This afternoon, though, an hour’s light nudged me out the door: exercise is as beneficial a beauty aid as an hour’s extra z-z-z-z-z’s.

Use it or lose it, sunshine.

o   When told the reason for Daylight Saving time the old Indian said, "Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket."  ~Author Unknown


o   You must have been warned against letting the golden hours slip by; but some of them are golden only because we let them slip by.  ~James Matthew Barrie

o   Watches are so named as a reminder — if you don't watch carefully what you do with your time, it will slip away from you. ~Drew Sirtors



Springing Forward Part I 

No comments: