Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Closets, Contentment and Christmas


Warm, humid air and cloudy skies are the forecast. Having packed away my summers shirts, moved the long-sleeved tees to the forefront of the shelves, I am not surprised. The other extreme of weather always attends the bi-annual clothes closet exchange.  However, switching seasonal clothes remains a wise investment of time.

During the exchange, I inspect, sort and relinquish stuff that no longer serves its purpose: making m look presentable.   And the process reminds me I really am the princess of quite a lot! It reminds me to ask:
·      How many women today have no change of clothes or undergarments?
·      No toothbrush or fresh water or food for their children or husbands or brothers?

I don’t know all the things that taught the apostle Paul contentment in want or plenty – but cleaning out closets, and recognizing I not only have changes of clothes, I have clothes for more than one season is a great goad!  (Philippians 4:11-13 )

James said we have fights and quarrels because we do not ask God – and when we ask our motives are wrong.  ( James 4 )     I wonder if I am slow in giving because I have not asked God to show me how I can be generous, and shower me with a generous spirit and resources – not just money to make a difference. A wise steward is a generous one – more content to manage and share than acquire to squander. (1 Timothy 6:3-10)  


Some points to ponder, from The Quote Garden:

·      Gold can no more fill the spirit of a man, than grace his purse. A man may as well fill a bag with wisdom, as the soul with the world. -- Robert Bolton

·      A little is as much as a lot, if it is enough. --Steve Brown

·      Agur said, "Give me neither poverty nor riches"; and this will ever be the prayer of the wise. Our incomes should be like our shoes: if too small, they will gall and pinch us, but if too large, they will cause us to stumble and to trip. But wealth, after all, is a relative thing, since he that has little, and wants less, is richer than he that has much, but wants more. True contentment depends not upon what we have; a tub was large enough for Diogenes, but a world was too little for Alexander. --Caleb C. Colton (An English Cleric)
·      It is so important not to waste what is precious by spending all one's time and emotion on fretting or complaining over what one does not have. Edith Schaeffer (Co-founder of L’Abri: Fellowship International) 

·      Christian contentment is that sweet, inward, quiet, gracious frame of spirit, which freely submits to and delights in God's wise and fatherly disposal in every condition. -- Jeremiah Burroughs

·      Contentment in every condition is a great art, a spiritual mystery. It is to be learned, and to be learned as a mystery.-- Jeremiah Burroughs

·      Next to faith this is the highest art -- to be content with the calling in which God has placed you. I have not learned it yet. -- Martin Luther

God bless the hands that serve the hurting and give in Christ’s name! Our deacons, and local ministries, food pantries and shelters – thank you! God bless those who serve the refugees. Christmas is coming up – and now might be the time to salt away some money to give Christ’s name? Here a few links that might revive  our passion for giving and our determination to manage our resources wisely:

No comments: