Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Do You See the Reset Button?

I did it again. I set off the alarm, and the police showed up in less than five minutes. This time, I remained calm when the smoke detector erupted, sensing my charcoal toast, and signaled the siren on the roof. (The last time I got so flustered by the shrieking siren I forgot the override code.) However, I did not have the correct number to alert the emergency dispatch there wasn’t any fire; so the police arrived. The officer told me I should check with the company because I couldn’t get the declaration “FIRE” from alarm’s keypad.

I called the alarm company and a tech support person called back – and walked me through everything I did, and then reminded me to look at the key pad, and see the “reset” button. If all the smoke is gone, hit it – it may take some time to reset if the air is even a bit smokey – but it will reset the system. Next time – God forbid – after I disarm the alarm – call the emergency dispatch desk, and then, hit the reset button.

All this on the Saturday before Easter – the eternal gift that is better than a reset button. I’ve done a bunch of dumb stuff – I do wrong things – and knowing me, I will do things that are like the toast I burned for the rest of my life. But when Christ walked out of that tomb, He pushed the reset button on my life, having paid the bill for all my sins – even knowing all I would do, even after the hour I first believed. (Isaiah 53:1-12; Colossians 1:13; 1 John 1:9-2:2)

At Christmas, we may wish the Lord a “Happy Birthday.” On Easter, all I can say is “Thank you.” And God, help me hit the reset button again.

No comments: