Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Me and My Big Mouth

Conversations we always thought would have a part two, may end abruptly because of stuff beyond our control. Don’t let any loving thought go unsaid – don’t lose any opportunity to express respect, even when disagreeing. Labeling another with your perceptions of how they think or express themselves may not be useful, kind or true. 

Will Rogers once advised, “When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.” So, if . . . “If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.”  Words are usually the tool with which I dig – verbal and written. How do I stop digging? And how do I get out of the hole? So, one sure-fire way  way to stop “diggin” that hole is “Stop talking!” And do not fire off an e-mail!

Not answering back is so hard to do! Especially when I know with just a few more words I can show you why you are wrong! Could it be, I would rather win the argument and look like a fool than work through a conflict?

Some men once wanted to win an argument with the hurting friend. Remember Job’s friends?  (Job 13:1-12) They couldn’t shut up, so convinced they were of their rightness Job cried out to his friends: “Oh, that you would altogether hold your peace! Then you would evidence your wisdom and you might pass for wise men.”  (Job 13:5 AMP)

My friend Flo keeps an index card with this verse  written out on the inside of her kitchen cupboard; she frequently opens that door and reads Job’s plea before answering in anger. It’s better to have folks think you are a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
“Post this at all the intersections, dear friends: Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear. God's righteousness doesn't grow from human anger.” (James 1:19-20  from THE MESSAGE )
If I were as quick to listen as I am to speak, I might not have so many regrets about   conversations unexpectedly ended. I might better say what I mean, and more truly mean what I say.  I might not find myself in so many holes – and I might look a lot smarter.
“Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is counted prudent.”
 ( Proverbs 17:28)

Thought for the day:
“Just because I am invited, doesn’t mean I have to attend every argument.” (An anonymous quote)

Image source

No comments: