Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Rip, Rip, Rip . . .


So, about the knitting project: I am on the fourth try, and finally have completed an inch or two of error-free stitches. I had gotten further on previous tries but always messed up, and had to rip out my work.   I dropped stitches, added stitches, purled when I should have knitted and knitted when purling was the stitch.

Yes, I am a klutz knitter – but I am a calmer klutz – because the problems generated by my ineptitude keep my mind from playing silly games with my heart.

Doug smiles sympathetically, and asks, “Again?”

I had to abandon the index card pattern the dear clerk so kindly sketched for me, and go back to a very basic pattern that I am copying from the well-loved “Target” designed baby blanket.  And to that end, I must needs return to the little shop before we head to Dallas, and garner a few more colors of the type of yarn I am using. (Local craft store don’t carry the precise weight.)  I need a bit of yellow, a splash of beige, and a pinch of a pink that is between the raspberry tone and soft pink I am using. I had forgotten how, though minor, their presence brightened the effect.

During these past twelve days, I have remembered many seemingly inconsequential kindnesses and forbearance others have worked into my life, just as those dashes of colors enhance that baby’s blanket I am adapting. But small splashes of memories have made me long for the ability to rip out some of my life’s inept stitches and start over. But what a futile jumble that would make!

No, perhaps this time to be dependent on other people’s prayers, hospitality, compassion and expertise, and God, who is ever mindful of my weakness, has been time well spent.

·      The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it. --Sir James Matthew Barrie (1860-1937) _The Little Minister_ [1891], Chapter 1

·      Classic remorse, as all the moralists are agreed, is a most undesirable sentiment. If you have behaved badly, repent, make what amends you can and address yourself to the task of behaving better next time. On no account brood over your wrongdoing. ROLLING IN THE MUCK IS NOT THE BEST WAY OF GETTING CLEAN.- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World.

Now – back to the knitting . . .
(Quotes from Christiansquoting.com)

 IMAGE SOURCE PAGE: http://www.picgifs.com/clip-art/knitting/

No comments: