Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mothers’ Day 2014



Because I kept quite a little list of grievances, with few grudging compliments, I had trouble finding an appropriate Mothers’ Day card.  

from The New Yorker*

I was hard on my mother – and I am grateful that as I weathered my own parenting failures she truly kept her own counsel. We may not have made the same mistakes – but we shared defeats that were similarly painful. The wonderful experience, and best memories though, were sharing the joy of holding babies, taking toddlers for walks, and sharing the confidences of a child’s opinion of this old world. She never withheld her high opinion of each of her grandchildren and great grandchildren!

The same restraint and kindness was a hallmark of my mother-in-law.  Neither “mom” played the critic, and both were generous and helpful.  I wish there were a card I could send to express my regrets for not having more conversations and my gratitude for so much.


But I doubt I could afford the postage.

Mom and Me


Doug and his Mom


·      Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be. ~Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ, c.1420


·      God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, variation of an excerpt from "The Serenity Prayer" by Reinhold Neibuhr

No comments: