Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Praying for Haiti

Recently I wondered how I could pray some of the imprecations David did in Psalms – like “Knock out all their teeth, Lord!” ( Psalm 3:7 – my paraphrase ) I can pray it wholeheartedly today. I listened as a young woman in the Frontline interview about Haiti hung her head and said, “All I have left is my faith.”(Frontline: The Battle for Haiti http://tinyurl.com/4btedoy)

Because of how her country was before the earthquake, and then the earthquake, she and her countrymen have lived for over a year in conditions Americans, even our poorest, do not. I thought her comments would describe this grief; they covered far more.

When the quake leveled this island’s buildings, it also opened the gated in prisons and jails, and terrible folks were unleashed. They now control the population – doing unspeakable things to women and children.

The woman who spoke was composed; as I listened, I was not. Her suffering reminded me of women who went through the Babylonian siege and then captivity. (2 Chronicles 29:3-11) It’s one thing to read history – it’s another to see it played out in front of you as current events– the human heart really is capable of anything. (Jeremiah 17:9-10)

The church in Haiti needs help – even from faint-hearted folks like me. Now is not the time for debating or discussing the mustard seed – plant it! James said to a group of Christians about to live through severe trials:
“You can no more show me your works apart from your faith than I can show you my faith apart from my works. Faith and works, works and faith, fit together hand in glove . . . (James 2:14-20 The Message)

God let my light shine – for I have much and have been spared more.

Isaiah told King Ahaz:
“If you don't take your stand in faith, you won't have a leg to stand on."(Isaiah 7:9 The Message)

Let me pray like good works don’t matter, and give in the same manner Christ has given me!

And the prophet Isaiah also told those who would lose everything:
[God] is the stability of your times – a wealth of wisdom, salvation and knowledge: The fear of the Lord is His treasure.” (Isaiah 33:6)

God, hear my prayer:
Arise, O LORD!
Deliver [Haiti], O my God!
Strike all [her] enemies on the jaw;
break the teeth of the wicked.
From the LORD comes deliverance.
May your blessing be on your people. ( Psalm 3:7-8)

No comments: