Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Babysitting



It’s a privilege and a pleasure, even if it’s not always pleasurable, my husband said about the request. Our kids asked us to babysit for a spell while they enjoy a much-needed vacation. We’ve gone from the sidelines to frontlines of kiddie-care.

Whew. If I was an older mother of young children – I am an older grandma of young grandchildren.  Spills, squeals, dirt, tears . . . laundry; some things don’t change. But what is more precious are the cuddles and conversations. Grandkids give super hugs! And the conversations are terrific.

My oldest granddaughter said she had a had time imagining what I looked like when I was little.  She then asked how long papa and I have been married. When I told her forty years this July, God willing, she asked if I were little when I got married.

It is a distinct honor to be asked to care for these little beings – and it has reinforced the truth that parenting is hard work – better entrusted to the young.  I may have a bit more understanding about little kids’ foibles – but not enough endurance.  

I salute all the grandparents who have stepped in and helped raise their children’s children for the long haul, not just vacations.


·      My grandkids believe I'm the oldest thing in the world.  And after two or three hours with them, I believe it, too. . . I don't intentionally spoil my grandkids.  It's just that correcting them often takes more energy than I have left.  ~Gene Perret

·      A grandmother is a mother who has a second chance.  ~Author Unknown

No comments: