Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The World Today and My Grandchildren?

Holding Precious Hands


These stories weren’t on the front page the Dallas Morning News today. They appeared on the WORLD magazine site – and they are as troubling as reports of racism, cruelty and other upheavals:

·      Conceived by donated sperm or egg, some adult children are calling for regulation of third-party reproduction. Regulating the Marketplace of Children

·      The Nonhuman Rights Project is “ . . . asking the courts to recognize, for the first time, that these cognitively sophisticated, autonomous beings are legal persons who have the basic right to not be held in captivity.”

·      Should Christians stop criticizing murderers because we’re sinners too? If we must be free of sin in order to call out sin, we should all cease talking and writing about it right now. A Pastor's Wife Justifies Her Job at an Abortion Center

I don’t have a clue how to comment on the complex news that greets us each morning, much less how to come along side any of the people who are hurting, confused or just caught up in the craziness these snapshots of today’s world represent. What’s more troubling is that for our grandchildren, these may well be normal in their world, the way abortion and homosexuality are rights in our children’s world.  How do I even talk about topics like these without sounding like Chicken Little?

Tim Keller, retired pastor from Redeemer Church NYC offers one suggestion, “Pray and pray a lot. Especially when you don't feel like praying at all.” 

That’s harder than talking.

So, I opened my Bible, and finished up the book of Numbers, chapters 33-36: God’s warnings and promises to His people. A Bible teacher summed them up: “Don’t affirm evil by excusing it as social issues.” 

Aye – there’s the rub – I don’t see how in the world I can do that! I like a lot the world has to offer – I don’t want to live as a hermit. But if the above articles are among the stories describing the people to whom we are called to go, I’m tempted to stay! (And urge the grandkids not to get involved!)   

God help me – and make a path upon which I can walk – being useful to the folks I love, and those whom you put in my path -- doing no harm, because these times sure seem crazy and overwhelming. 

Almighty God, we confess how hard it is to be your people. You have called us to be the church, to continue the mission of Jesus Christ to our lonely and confused world. Yet we acknowledge we are more apathetic than active, isolated than involved, callous than compassionate, obstinate than obedient, legalistic than loving.   

Gracious Lord, have mercy upon us and forgive our sins. Remove the obstacles preventing us from being Your representatives to a broken world. Awaken our hearts to the promised gift of your indwelling Sprit.

This we pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.  (Prayer of Confession from 03/08/15, Park Cities Presbyterian Church)  





No comments: