Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Monday, March 9, 2015

March Daffodils

Survivors! 
Snow and ice pounded my neighbor’s daffodils – They sprang up in the warm sunshine of a few weeks ago, but have had to survive recent icy rain and snow.  Their hardiness fascinated me as I have watched them holding up in the face of the intemperate weather. They are act as a little goad to get a grip and quit griping.

I gripe a lot about how bad things are – that is, how different the world seems from the one in which I thought we would be living.  

This is one scary place! What’s scarier is how we describe what we see; it communicates  frustration more than solutions. News of current events, and the reporters and commentators feel and sound as bitter as the recent icy blasts in Dallas –polarizing has a new adjectival dimension for me.  Moreover, it’s hard to laugh when popular entertainers lean on the F-bomb crutch for laughs to jokes anchored firmly to straw man arguments.   




Good Grief! Have I become like the grousers I used to hate to be around? 

Yes.

That’s why those resilient little flowers intrigued me.  The times may be brutal, and bring much that is unexpected. Our social commentators may be harsh -- a bit like our weather has been.  But I can weather it  -- even flourish. That is true even though a friend said daffodils reminded her of flowers she used to place on graves.

Funereal?


About time to sow those wildflower seeds. (Seeds)



o   Our major obligation is not to mistake slogans for solutions. ~Edward R. Murrow



o   Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: you find the present tense, but the past perfect! ~Owens Lee Pomeroy

No comments: