Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Unplugging from a Party Line


Last Tango in Halifax's Characters
The Last Tango in Halifax tells a winsome tale of how two families and their friends get on, when Alan and Celia rekindle a flame, 60 years old.  The writing is excellent. The whole production, terrific! The characters and their peccadilloes are wholly believable; even the rascals are engaging.  A form of religion is in the background, but with no substance, except negative stereotypes and bad language. And by word and deed, they are all doing fine with out God, having given up on Him long ago. 


While the series began with a winsome premise – this last week’s chapter was anything but charming.  It’s a quietly disturbing propaganda piece about life in the post-Christian era.  

If you read a summary of the episodes, thus far, it reads like real people we know.  God knows I’ve walked down a few paths on which the characters are now treading! (See a summary: Last Tango in Halifax.)  But, last night’s episode took my breath away.

They do terrible things to themselves and to each other! I have grown to care about all these people – and what they get themselves into – their pain is so credible. 

It’s what life looks like, when people do what is right in their own eyes – and the depravity seems harmless enough at first. 

Okay – if you are still reading after that word, let me hasten to say, I have loved this show!  Would that I felt so deeply for the real people God has placed so directly in my path.

I am in Chapter 3 of Exodus.  (Bible Study . . . Again) It’s where God commissioned Moses to go to the Israelites first, and tell them God is real, with eyes, ears, and a heart. (Exodus 3:6-7) Then, Moses would get to carry this message to Pharaoh.  Moses was not on board with this plan, however, having made a good life for himself and family in Midian. I can so relate to his hedging!

Too often, I don’t want to unplug from well-done propaganda that says, everybody is doing just fine without God. I look at this story, Last Tango in Halifax, and I can see people are hurting! Habits, hurts and hang-ups can make us crazy, mean or stupid.

But who wants to be a messenger with God’s remedy?  I so get why Moses wanted someone else to go!   

And that means killing off everything connected with that way of death: sexual promiscuity, impurity, lust, doing whatever you feel like whenever you feel like it, and grabbing whatever attracts your fancy . . . It wasn’t long ago that you were doing all that stuff and not knowing any better. But you know better now, so make sure it’s all gone for good: bad temper, irritability, meanness, profanity, dirty talk. (Colossians 3:5-8)

 Alas, I regret unplugging from so well-written and acted a production, that misrepresents the truth. 

"The Devil isn't as conspicuous in society as he once was, Scalia said, because "he got wilier" and now advances his agenda by "getting people not to believe in him or in God."
 




No comments: