Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Monday, September 2, 2013

Another Lesson from the Garden


A Gardening Lesson from the Crepe Myrtles
 
An Unexpected Tutor
For a few minutes this morning, I enjoyed our back porch – something the weather and health has precluded. (I mean, when the air feels hotter than the coffee in my cup, who needs that?) But, this morning, we have been bathed and refreshed by a gentle persistent rain. 

What pleasantly surprised me when I sat down was the change in the row of crepe myrtles along the back fence of the garden. Weeks ago, before our “house arrest,”  they seemed almost barren of blossoms. Since they are mature trees, I wondered if the hot, dry weather were inflicting too much pain on them. But no – they boomed!  And I had missed it because their blossoms are above eye level when I look out the kitchen window.  I may see the new plants that thrive in the heat – but they are not all there is to see in the garden.

Noon is approaching – and the sun’s return is imminent and with it, the hope of being out and about in the garden for long spells ebbs.  But I enjoyed this respite – and the reminder:  hot dry spells help crepe myrtles do well!

And the testing of this day – or the next, which may feel like a desert --  isn’t an excuse for me drying up personally or spiritually.

“Finding comfort in the Lord doesn’t make all the discomfort go away.”* 

Maturity of mind is the capacity to endure uncertainty.
~ John Finley
 (An English historian and mathematician)

 Even in old age they will still produce fruit;
    they will remain vital and green.
 They will declare, “The Lord is just!
    He is my rock!
    There is no evil in him!” (Psalm 92:14-15 ~ NLB)



*An apt quote from a favorite blog, and the speaker tied her comment to Psalm 27.    

No comments: