Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Another Walk Worth Taking


Doug and I had dinner with our grandchildren as their folks went out to celebrate their eighth anniversary.  Before dinner they took a dip in the pool, and then we settled down to enjoy Maryland barbecued chicken from a local restaurant. (Hey, I am still on vacation even when I am on duty!)

How to fill the time before bedtime with fun, considering the huge dissimilarity in our years and abilities?    

A walk!

Off we went, the youngest, content in a stroller, the other happily skipping ahead, eager to show us where they took swimming lessons.  My hips tried complaining about moving after too many days off – but they finally quieted down, and worked! Ten years ago, it rarely crossed my mind to be grateful for just being able to walk.  This year has been quite a tutor in gratitude.

Anyway, I took this neighborhood circuit for ten years before we left for Texas.  I know the houses and their streets. But walking with a five year old and a three year old, I saw many things I hadn’t noticed  -- like which house had a pretty lamp in the window; which house had funny stripes (siding); which house had small red roses and Black-eyed Susans. 

The walk took longer than it ever has – and doubtless doesn’t count as a cardio-vascular workout. But the treasures gleaned – on an early evening in a late July are inestimable.

  • You don't choose your family.  They are God's gift to you, as you are to them.  ~Desmond Tutu 
  • Grandchildren are God's way of compensating us for growing old.  ~Mary H. Waldrip

No comments: