Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Remodeling This Far

Getting situated in our “new” home has been a series of starts, stops, and holding patterns. Buying our bungalow took almost three months of negotiations, and this in a down real estate market! Though the little house presented well, we understood it needed some repairs just to maintain its charm. So, we decided to address the problems before moving in. 

Planning and pricing  the remodeling work took another six weeks. The contractor kept saying he likes getting the work figured out beforehand as much as possible, so the sure-to-come glitches will be less likely to derail us.

The remodeling started slowly after Labor Day, picked up steam and last week roared along with roofers, foundation workers, carpenters, electricians, and painters. Promptly, they tore out rotting wood, redirected water from the foundation, upgraded wiring and discovered gas leaks. One of the genuine delights of the remodeling has been seeing so many craftsmen, whose full names I don’t know, who are equally thoughtful, careful, diligent and creative.  Even so, we have had those glitches: a sub measured the kitchen and bath counter tops incorrectly.

At first, I thought it might not matter, but waiting an extra ten days to two weeks for the new counter tops didn’t set well with the contractor who had scheduled the remaining work for back splashes, appliance installation, attic insulation, and floor refinishing.  His careful preplanning kept me from accepting a delay, and he directed me to a faster and more cost-efficient alternative.

Do  any of these daily adventures compare to remodeling of my heart without over spiritualizing the analogies? Just as remodeling sites are usually  messy, even when the workmen daily tidy up, I seem messy, even as I confess and repent. There have been spiritual fits and starts right along with real changes. I have misunderstood, miscalculated and misconceived God’s resources and my need. Worse, I have dallied on my inner remodeling site, putting off what I was supposed to be doing, preferring other work. And I have tripped up others by my faults.

While I am a new creature – by grace through faith – I remain a work in progress. God, the Builder has worked a unique plan, one that overcomes “glitches.”

    When someone becomes a Christian, [s]he becomes a brand-new person inside. [S]he is not the same anymore. A new life has begun! (2 Corinthians 5:17 TLB)

    . . .  For God is at work within you, helping you want to obey him, and then helping you do what he wants. (Philippians 2:12-13 TLB)
   
    'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD,' plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11  NASB)


Lord, I believe; Help Thou my unbelief!

No comments: