Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Daylight Savings Time


Looking out of my window, the light is different; it is an hour earlier. Time sprang forward in the wee hours of March 9, and I forfeited an hour.  It will be repaid, however, in the fall, on November 3. In the meantime, I have roughly 259 extra hours of daylight; that’s close to 10 days.  So, though an hour of sleep was lost – I have light on loan – to be fruitful, active and useful. 

How best to invest these extra hours of light?

Knowing I have an extra hour of daylight on loan goads me to plan some things that need doing.  Surely, gardening chores beckon, as does spring-cleaning.  Come November, though, how will a completed checklist make a difference in my life?

Well – clean rooms inside and trimmed up beds outside can be sanity sanctuaries – and they are still part of my job.  Plus, just having the time to keep learning how to number my days is a gift. (Psalm 90:12) Moreover, Christ said work while there is daylight – darkness is coming (John 9:4)

But this past November (2012) – contentment with a tidy home and garden were not enough preparation for how quickly the darkness came – and I don’t just mean the twilight that deepens when the clocks are set back an hour!  After November 4 this year past, the days got darker and darker, earlier and earlier.  Hurricane Sandy and the Massacre at Sandy Hook knocked us all for a loop and a few other blows that took me by surprise showed me even the most efficient use of extra daylight has its limitations.  

Now as the actual daylight now grows longer this year, I am grateful for the extra hour’s light.  It feels like a fresher start now than on January 1, when I flirted with all the resolutions, I had no intention of keeping.  Now, there’s an extra hour of light in which to walk, garden or paint, an extra hour to write a letter, or . . . renew my Fourth Step, and do a searching and fearless moral inventory with the extra light?

Come November 2013, God willing, may I be a better sailor, a better mate, and with a better understanding of what contrition means.  

Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors.  ~African Proverb

Adversity introduces a [woman] to herself.  ~Author Unknown

True remorse is never just a regret over consequence; it is a regret             over motive.  ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

No comments: