Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fear is Faith Too?


In a selection from her book, Pearls of Great Price, Joni Eareckson Tada recounts a conversation between two young women with Down Syndrome that may have flashed by – but was vital, both for the one who heard the words, and for me who read them.  Having successfully scaled a climbing wall, Corie assured her anxious friend, reluctant to ascend, “The wall won’t hurt you.” And her friend Heather garnered her courage and started to climb.

Two young women with distinctive “limitations” did something I would have been scared to do even in my twenties! (What I was not afraid to try – and should have been --  is  a topic for another time )

Corie surrendered to the opportunity, trusting her helmet and climbing harness and thus who cheered her on.  In doing so, when she climbed up and back, she knew the wall would not hurt her friend, and urged Heather on.  Just like Joni’s question at the end of the account reminds me, walls are not the problem -- 

Are you facing an intimidating wall right now... a medical problem, an unexpected bill, a strained relationship, or a wrestling match with temptation? God has a purpose, and knows all about what you're facing. Look up, take heart and say, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:13).

Thank you, Lord Jesus, that you are the Master of every wall in life. Help me to take courage from little Corie's courage and counsel. With your help, I'll grip that first rock and begin to climb.


God, I believe; help Thou my unbelief.

I may not struggle with the limitations Down Syndrome creates – but I struggle with a raft load of limitations spawned by pride, bull-headedness, and ignorance.   I may be up against more than I can handle on my own; at least I am finally recognizing that!  The wonder is today is the day when I can suit up and ascend – trusting equipment will hold, for that is the Designer’s intention.   
   
Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet.
Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them.  . . Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out. (Ephesians 6:10-18 The Message)


 Fear is faith that it won't work out.  ~ Sister Mary Tricky

No comments: