Welcome


Thanks for stopping by, whether you got here by a link or hitting "next blog" -- I am glad you are here. I've also done some writing on homeschooling, and what I learned thinking I was teaching.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

And now for the news and weather . . .

January ends with news of intensified unrest now in Egypt – and a winter storm is coming across most of the USA that will be a doozy. Once I stayed tuned for news of breaking developments. Now I switch to my classical music station. Watching breaking developments and then reruns every few minutes of the same stuff or updated graphics no longer helps.

What can I do about any of it? Someone once said: “If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It's the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep.”

So, I’ll write about it – and maybe pray, too. I like what Glenn Turner said about worry: “Worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere.”

Worry keeps me from working on what I can and trusting that God is working, too. The only known cure for fear is faith, observed Dr. Lena Kellogg Sadler (an American physician, surgeon, and obstetrician who was a leader in women's health issues, died in 1939)

Another wise soul reminds me, “Fear cannot take what you do not give it.” And borrowing courage from a Chinese Proverb: “That the birds of worry and care fly over you head, this you cannot change, but that they build nests in your hair, this you can prevent.”

God for your church in Egypt and throughout the Middle East – bless them with all they need to be blessing. May Christ be real to each soul.

For those who rule our nation and all the other rulers, leaders politicians – I commend them to Your care – that they serve for your glory and the good of those they rule.

For those who help us in rough weather – in ways we can’t imagine – thank you God. And God help them in their duties.

The “Navy Hymn” haunts my heart – for those in peril on the sea. Naval Academy Glee Club in San Antonio 2008

“Oh God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small.” (the Breton Fisherman's Prayer) And the sea looks particularly great tonight -- and my craft ever so tiny!

“So first of all let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear. . .is fear itself. . .nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)

Only he who can say, 'The Lord is the strength of my life' can say, 'Of whom shall I be afraid?' - (Alexander MacLaren)

Oh – our property taxes were due today too, I think. Good-bye January, 2011!

No comments: